Schlage keypad lock troubleshooting guide:
Your Schlage keypad lock may not open up or work accurately for variable reasons. However, all of them are pretty reversible, and you can easily eliminate them.
Here’s a troubleshooting guide to fix your Schlage keypad lock that won’t open:
1. Change the batteries of your Schlage keypad
One of the most common reasons for your Schlage lock not to work accurately may be its low-powered batteries. In addition, your Schlage keypad may suddenly malfunction without any prior warning. Therefore, it’s important first to replace the batteries and rule out this cause before heading further.
So, simply remove the older batteries and insert the new ones. Ensure you’re putting the accurate ones such that the alkaline ones. Also, don’t use the lithium or rechargeable ones as they’re not worth it. Furthermore, don’t mix your old and new batteries, as this would simply create more chaos for you.
In addition, more than most of the Schlage keypad uses CR123A battery, so opt for the ones most accurate for your system.
If, by any chance, this hack doesn’t work for you, then simply head to the next step.
2. Enter the correct User code for your Schlage keypad
Another possible reason for your Schlage keypad not working properly may be that you are entering an inaccurate User code.
All you can do in this concern is enter the correct User code to see whether the problem gets resolved. If not, then just head to the next step.
3. Disable the Vacation mode
As you know, the Vacation mode on your Schlage keypad may temporarily disable it. This option goes pretty well when you’re on vacation and don’t want anyone to get into your home. However, you may sometimes enable it without being aware of creating such a problem for yourself.
Here are the steps to disable the Vacation mode on your Schlage lock:
- Firstly, enter the Programming code on your keypad.
- Next, you’ll see a green light blink and hear a beep when the code is entered.
- This green blinking light and beeping sound indicate that the Vacation mode is turned off.
- After disabling the Vacation mode, check whether the problem concerning your Schlage keypad has been resolved. If not, head to the next hack.
4. Trying using a physical key
If the above fixes didn’t help you, try using a physical key to eliminate this issue. The Schlage keypad comes with both physical keys and keypads. So, if your keypad stops responding after locking and the lock is still on, then the only option is to use the physical key.
Therefore, if the physical key works and the digital one doesn’t, then feel free to contact the Schlage customer support team for further assistance.
However, in some cases, you may need to replace the internal mechanism or reinstall the lock as there are certain problems concerning your lock that needs to be fixed by the procedures mentioned above only.
5. Disengage the Lock Override function
The lock override function of your Schlage keypad provides emergency access to unlock the device manually. Therefore, if your keypad lock is still not opening, then the possible reason would be that the Lock Override function would be open, creating hurdles at your end.
Here are the steps to disable the Lock Override function:
- Firstly, remove the cover of the battery on the interior assembly.
- Next, remove the battery from its sockets by carefully detaching it.
- Now check whether the lock override slot is set to lockout or not.
- Further, rotate it to normal using a small flathead screwdriver.
- Lastly, put the battery back and place the cover back too.
These steps would help you disable the override option and thus resolve the problem concerning your lock. If not, then don’t worry; just head to the next troubleshooting step.
6. Try restoring the Factory default settings
The next hack is to restore the Factory default settings, which have often shown beneficial results in resolving problems concerning your Schlage lock.
Here are the steps to restore the Factory default settings:
- Firstly, take off the cover for your batteries and then remove them.
- Now press and release the Schlage button on your keypad.
- Wait for around 10 seconds, and then reattach the batteries again.
- Now press and hold the Schlage button on your keypad until you see a green light blinking and hear the clock beep.
- Lastly, release the Schlage button and enter the PIN.
These steps will restore the factory default settings for you and fix the problem too.
7. Reset the Schlage lock
Last, you may reset your Schlage lock if none of the above hacks helped you. This option is suitable, especially if your system has any error or glitch. Thus, it will remove all the system bugs causing annoying problems for you.
Here are the steps to reset the Schlage lock:
- Search the default Programming code on the back of your device or within your User guide. Note that this step is important as you’ll need this code to reprogram your system after resetting.
- Next, remove the battery cover of your lock and then remove the batteries.
- Now press and hold down the Schlage button.
- Reconnect the batteries while holding the Schlage button. Once done, release the outside Schlage button.
- Further, confirm the process is done accurately by pressing the Schlage button and entering the User default User code. Note that you’ll find this code within the User Guide or behind your system.
- Lastly, we’ll see your system perform a quick setup routine, ensuring that the reset has been completed. So, wait a few seconds, and the bolt will stop moving.
Note that the reset will delete all the User codes and other important custom settings from your system. As a result, you’ll need to start all over again, just like you did when you first bought your Schlage lock.
In addition, we would suggest you change your Programming code to prevent anyone else from interfering with your lock programming and other settings.
In conclusion, your Schlage lock may often not work for multiple reasons, most commonly due to old batteries, enabled vacation and lock override mode, and incorrect User code. However, note that all the causes are pretty reversible, and thus you can easily fix this problem.
Therefore, just follow this troubleshooting guide by simply trying the steps one by one until the problem gets resolved. Then, contact the customer care center if you still see your Schlage smart lock not working.