How to fix Schlage lock not working after the battery change?
The Schlage lock may not work after a battery change due to wrong battery insertion, incorrect installation, and glitches within the device.
Here are the fixes for the Schlage lock not working after battery change:
1. Ensure the placement of the battery is accurate
The first and the most important step to fix your lock after its battery change is to check its installation of it such that whether they’re accurately installed or not.
To do so, check the placement of the battery in the correct order. Then ensure the battery connector is intact with no apparent problem. Sometimes, you may connect the batteries in the proper order, but the connector may not be connected, thus creating numerous issues on your end.
Lastly, also check you have used the correct batteries necessary for your system, such as the alkaline, rechargeable ones. Note that the lithium or non-rechargeable ones may not suit your system.
Even if, after checking all the hacks mentioned above, your Schlage lock cannot function, proceed to the next hack without wasting your time.
2. Reset the batteries
After checking the placement of your batteries, you may reset them by removing them from your system and then placing them back after some time for a quick reboot.
Here are the steps to reset your batteries:
- Firstly, disconnect and remove the batteries from your Schlage lock.
- Next, press and then release the Schlage button multiple times.
- Lastly, wait for a minute and then connect the batteries again along with the battery connector cable for a quick reset.
3. Check the compatibility of your batteries
One of the most important factors for your Schlage lock not working after a battery change may be that you may be using the wrong batteries. Therefore, it’s essential to check the compatibility of the batteries when stuck in such an issue.
Note that the compatibility of each Schlage may differ according to its type. So, to inquire about the correct battery, you need to contact the customer support team or refer to the owner’s manual for further guidance.
In addition, most Schlage locks work best under the four-A batteries, but for your convenience, we suggest you contact someone guanine before purchasing them.
Also, while purchasing the batteries, ensure you buy a reliable brand despite being expensive to avoid any consequences later.
4. Ensure the wiring is accurate for your system
If resetting and checking the compatibility of the batteries didn’t help you resolve the problem concerning your Schlage lock, then the next best option is to check the wiring within your system. This is essential as it may be possible that while changing the batteries of your lock, you may have damaged its wiring connected to the circuit.
Here are the hacks to check the wiring within your Schlage lock:
- Firstly, check the integrity of the wires connected from the battery to the circuit.
- Then look for any loose connection points in the circuit. If present, fix it up by securing the connection points.
- Lastly, look for any kinked wires. If present, replace the wires and insert the batteries again to make your Schlage lock work efficiently. The kink wires are essential to be replaced as these may interrupt the power flow to a great extent.
5. Ensure the battery terminals are in good shape
Now the next hack after checking the wires is to ensure that the battery terminals are fine with no defects.
Here are the hacks you can opt to check the condition of the battery terminals:
- Closely inspect the battery terminals of your Schlage lock. Look for any corrosion, as the dead batteries usually leak out acid, thus deteriorating their function.
- Now check if the batteries are dead or have a poor seal. You may get enough idea by looking at the corrosion.
- Now check and clean any rust or leaked acid present on the terminals. Use a Q-tip dipped in vinegar or lemon juice to clean the corrosion, which will remove it effectively. However, be careful while doing so.
- Lastly, place the batteries properly, ensuring they touch the terminals accurately.
6. Try the factory reset
Factory reset has always been a great option, especially when you don’t know what’s wrong with your system and trying hacks don’t fix the underlying cause.
Below are the steps to factory reset your Schlage lock:
- Firstly, remove the battery cover and disconnect the connected batteries.
- Next, press and hold the Schlage button.
- After 10 seconds, reconnect the batteries.
- Lastly, press and hold the Schlage button until you hear the beeping sound and see a green light.
Note that these steps work for the Schlage lock with the models BE365, FE575, and FE595. So, if the lock model differs from this, look at the user manual for further guidance and support.
Furthermore, the factory reset will erase all the custom programming of your system, so ensure you have the default Programming code ready to help you reprogram the lock.
Factory reset will indeed resolve your problem in no time. If not, then feel free to contact the customer care team. They’ll assist you in the best way possible.
7. Contact the customer support team
If none of the above troubleshooting helped you fix your Schlage lock, then the possibility is the underlying error with the circuit, which you may not be able to fix yourself.
Therefore, the only option is to contact the customer care team, who’ll listen to your problem and list the possible causes. They’ll then guide you to fix the cause accordingly.
So, if you have a warranty left, rush to the owner and use the warranty card to get your lock fixed without spending a single penny. Moreover, in some cases, you’ll have to purchase a new Schlage lock, especially when there’s no warranty left.
Your Schlage lock may not work after a battery change. Unfortunately, this is pretty common and may occur due to several reasons, most importantly, incorrect battery insertion, poor compatibility of the batteries, glitches within the system, and much more.
In addition, they’re hacks that you may opt to fix the underlying cause behind such an issue. However, in some cases, like a problem with the circuit, you’ll have to purchase a new one. So, read this guide and follow the steps for efficient results.