Why is my Schlage encode not connecting to WiFi?
Your Schlage may not connect to Wi-Fi due to several reasons. Most of them are due to errors or bugs within your Wi-Fi device.
Here are the causes why your Schlage encode is not connecting to the Wi-Fi:
- Switching off Security settings in your Wi-Fi may cause connectivity errors. Therefore, it should always be on to give the lock its authorization.
- Faulty Wi-Fi software or hardware may also not connect to your Schlage encode, thus creating hurdles at your end.
- An incompatible network or access point may also disrupt the connection of your Schlage to the Wi-Fi.
- Inaccessible Wi-Fi range for the Schlage lock due to incorrect positioning of the router.
- Typing the incorrect password for your Wi-Fi device may also cause connectivity issues for your Schlage lock.
How to fix Schlage encode that won’t connect to Wi-Fi?
To fix your Schlage encode not connecting to Wi-Fi, it’s important to follow a step-by-step guide that may rule out each cause one by one.
Here are the steps to fix Schlage encode not connecting to the Wi-Fi:
1. Try replacing the batteries of your lock
Low-powered batteries of your Schlage lock may interfere with the connection of the Wi-Fi. Therefore, it’s pretty essential to change the batteries at regular intervals whenever you feel it’s slow functioning.
Moreover, it’s also important to use the right batteries, which are AA or AAA battery that can last for almost a year. This may ensure no interruption in the connectivity of your Wi-Fi.
However, if you’re still unable to connect your device to the Wi-Fi even after changing the batteries, the next step should be to loosen the screw that’s too tight on the battery contact. Note that this screw may hinder the battery contacts from touching the batteries.
2. Try protecting your Wi-Fi with a password
The next hack is to ensure your Wi-Fi is protected by a password which may solve the connection error with the Schlage lock.
Here are the steps to set a password for your Wi-Fi device:
- Firstly, look for the IP address of your Wi-Fi router, as you’ll need it to type in the web browser.
- So, press the Windows and R buttons on the keyboard and then enter the CMD, which will open the Command Prompt.
- Next, enter the ipconfig and press
- You’ll now find the Wi-Fi router’s address.
- Now, open the web browser. Then type in the IP address of the Wi-Fi router.
- You’ll then be redirected to the login page.
- Enter your username and password for the Wi-Fi router.
- Also, enter the login credentials and try again to connect your device to the Wi-Fi device.
3. Change the location of your Wi-Fi device
One of the major reasons for your Schlage lock not connecting to the Wi-Fi device may be weak Wi-Fi. This may happen when your Wi-Fi device is placed at a distance from your Schlage device.
In such a case, you simply need to alter the position of your device. Place it at different positions until you fully boost the Wi-Fi signal. So, check the network speed of your Wi-Fi device. If it’s still slow, simply upgrade your router.
You have one more option: to connect the router to the Wi-Fi extender, which will increase the network speed and enhance the Wi-Fi signal.
However, if you still face a connectivity problem, simply head to the next hack.
4. Update the Schlage Home app
So, simply head to the app store and check whether your Schlage Home app needs an update. If yes, update it, and you’re good to go by resolving the connectivity issue.
In addition, if you’re using a third-party app to operate the lock, follow the same update procedure.
5. Try power cycling your router
Power cycling is literally the best option when your Wi-Fi is the main cause behind the connectivity problem your Schlage Encode is facing.
So, to do so, simply unplug your router from the power outlet. Then wait for around 10-20 seconds before plugging it again. Also, ensure the Wi-Fi network you have now connected to your device is the same one you linked earlier.
If this hack doesn’t help, head to the next one.
6. Check your Wi-Fi Network band
The Schlage Encode doesn’t support the 5GHz Wi-Fi Network but instead supports the 2.4 GHz network. Therefore, it’s pretty necessary to ensure your device is connected to the correct Wi-Fi network.
To check which Wi-Fi network your device is connected to, head to your phone’s Wi-Fi settings and look for the network you’re bound to. For example, if it’s 5GHz, switch to another Wi-Fi network such that 2.4 GHz.
This will surely resolve your problem; however, if it doesn’t, you’re left with a factory resetting option that will fix all of the issues in no time.
7. Factory reset your Schlage lock to default settings
Lastly, your only option is to factory reset your Schlage lock. This will eradicate all the problems your device is facing, including Wi-Fi connectivity errors.
Factory reset simply shuts your system down for a few minutes and then turns it back on to the default settings. This gives your system a quick refresh as it clears all the data, bugs, errors, and glitches. However, don’t forget to write all the custom settings and user codes before hands.
Below are the steps to factory reset your Schlage lock:
- Firstly, find out the reset button on your Schlage device. To do so, take out the battery cover. You’ll see a black circle at the right of the thumb turn that is the reset button.
- Now press and hold the button until the light turns red.
- Press the reset button until the red light stops flashing, completing the reset step.
- Finally, seeing a blue light after completing the reset will indicate that the process is completed. Note that the blue light appears after 10 seconds.
In conclusion, there are several reasons for your Schlage encode not connecting to the Wi-Fi, most commonly low-powered batteries, outdated Schlage home app, incompatible network, and much more. However, not all the causes are reversible; thus, you can easily fix this problem.
In this article, we have listed all the major causes of Wi-Fi and Schlage connectivity errors and all the hacks that may help you fix this issue. However, if it doesn’t help you, then feel free to contact the customer care team for further assistance.