time for the chains

General fire buffing topics not covered elsewhere

time for the chains

Postby golden valley fire » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:09 pm

me and some friends were driving along Franklin Avenue near kenwood Park when i noticed rescue 1 near the bottom of logan avenue, the engine 22 just ahead and finally ladder 11 who was facing south on logan, just ahead of 22. they didnt have there lights on so it wasnt an emergancy but as we got closer i realized engine 22 was stuck in the snow and L11 & R1 were there to help. if the snow is bad enough to cause rigs to get stuck then i think it's time for the chains.
golden valley fire

Re: time for the chains

Postby StFrancis4470 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:03 pm

That is a good Question Golden Valley Fire
when i lived in minneapolis in the 70s, 80s & 90s i seen most engines and Ladder Tractors running with chains on snowy days like this, one day i was visiting station 11 in the 90s
and asked if they still use Tire chains (at that time Ladder 9 was the 85 Sutphen Tandam axle Aerial Tower), and the
Firemen told me as far as they know they don't use Tire chains anymore, but it used to be the FMO who decided to or not
to use Tire Chains
he said if they ever got Ladder 9 stuck they would be in big trouble.

Also i like to wish everybody on the Board a Very Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!
StFrancis4470

Postby meteoman » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:07 pm

I had heard some where that is now against the law to use chains on MN roads? Is this true?
meteoman

Postby golden valley fire » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:54 pm

it's still leagal to put chains on your vehical it's those spiked tires that are illegal. i was told they were absolutely fantastic at getting traction during the winter but people were to lazy to take them off AFTER winter and were causing extensive damage to the roads.
golden valley fire

Postby SPFDRum » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:20 pm

I don't know if their new engine has it, but Mankato Fire had automatic chains on all of their rigs. I know it saved me once on a icy day.
You might have 20 years "on the job"....But your acting like a 3rd grader who's lunch box was just stolen......
SPFDRum

Postby Pillar » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:57 am

The spiked tires were popular with STPFD back in the 1970s-80s. I could always tell when Engine 24 was going by, by the humming of the spikes on the pavement. I know they were on at least some of the trucks year round. I spent hours pulling those spikes out of the STPFD rigs we had down at the museum. I still have a coffee can full of them around here somewhere.
Pillar
Pillar

Postby EastCoastTruckie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:58 pm

Out here in the DC/Baltimore area pretty much all the apparatus have the On-Spot chains. I know my departments says the On-Spots can be used in up to 6 inches of snow and no faster than 35 mph. After usually like 3-4 inches though most companies seem to put on the regular tire chains. The tiller trucks especially chain up sooner than later. Anything over 6 inches and they have to be put on. Definately is different only being able to do 35 mph to a box alarm.

This past December where we got almost 2 feet of snow in 24 hours it was crazy out here. People do not know how to handle the snow. My department had plows sitting at certain stations to assist units in getting to the calls if needed and assisting units in getting unstuck. Which quite a few of the EMS units seemed to be good at getting stuck. Just people in general were intresting and the way they react when they are calling for snow is crazy.

Well Be Safe All!
EastCoastTruckie

Postby JMIK » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:27 am

This seems like a good time to revive this topic (16-23" of snow will do that!!). The local news reported that an MFD rig (it wasn't mentioned which one) got stuck about half a block out from a fire on Elliot Av. S. early Sunday. It's rather surprising that more depts in the Twin Cities don't use chains. I remember my dad usuing them on the car back in the '70's & they really helped! I am also reminded that MFD rigs used to be equipped with sanders in front of the rear wheels. I don't recall seeing them on recent rigs, and I can't remember which were the most recent rigs that definately had them. Seems like a great idea to me!
JMIK

Postby oj3205 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:39 pm

I remember seeing the chains hanging down from under the MFD rigs in the winter. I have not seen them lately.
Don't always believe everything you hear but believe in everything you do.
oj3205

Postby firebuff55407 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:25 pm

JMIK wrote:This seems like a good time to revive this topic (16-23" of snow will do that!!). The local news reported that an MFD rig (it wasn't mentioned which one) got stuck about half a block out from a fire on Elliot Av. S. early Sunday. It's rather surprising that more depts in the Twin Cities don't use chains. I remember my dad usuing them on the car back in the '70's & they really helped! I am also reminded that MFD rigs used to be equipped with sanders in front of the rear wheels. I don't recall seeing them on recent rigs, and I can't remember which were the most recent rigs that definately had them. Seems like a great idea to me!

MFD Engine 17 got stuck at 36th and Chicago on the way to the fire around 0136 hours. I believe Engine 5 (2nd due engine) arrived at 0138 hours. I heard Engine 17 on the radio still waiting for a tow around 0430 hours that morning.

I believe that most of the MFD rigs still use chains. I know MFD Rescue 1 had put their chains on during that wet snow we had a couple weeks ago. I also know that most of the MFD rigs are equipped with a power-operated drive that rotates short-chains under the rear wheels for traction when engaged (I can't remember what they call them).

I haven't heard if Engine 17 had chains on at the time they got stuck. I've talked to MFD firefighters that have told me that its a lot of work to put the chains on their rigs as they are extremely tight fitting and that any twisting in the chain can cause them not to fit properly around the tire.
firebuff55407

time for the chains

Postby pearlofpt » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:02 am

The physio was pretty useful when I had ITBS. She told me what I had to do to deal with it on my own and I only had to go for a couple of visits. Maybe you just happened upon a really bad physio?
pearlofpt

Return to Other Topics of Interest